Pesticide Management Advisory Committee
In January, 2018 the Portland City Council passed the City of Portland Pesticide Use Ordinance (Chapter 34 of City Code) that prohibits the use of synthetic pesticides on public and private property except in limited circumstances. This ordinance establishes organic land care methods as the primary means to care for and maintain property in the City of Portland including lawns, gardens, athletic fields, parks, and playgrounds.
To support the implementation and administration of this ordinance the City Council established the Pesticide Management Advisory Committee (PMAC). Duties of this committee include:
- Advising the Sustainability Coordinator and the Sustainability and Transportation Committee about implementation of the ordinance and recommended amendments
- Implementing an ongoing education and outreach program in coordination with the Sustainability Coordinator that will inform residents, property owners, and landscaping companies about the ordinance and ways to manage their property organically.
- Creating an annual report about the ordinance to the Sustainability and Transportation Committee
- Hearing and ruling on waivers submitted by property owners who believe they have an emergency situation on their property that requires the use of synthetic pesticide to remedy.
The PMAC consists of seven members
- Jesse O'Brien: A practicing agronomist
- VACANT: Licensed applicator
- Carol Laboissonierre: Licensed applicator certified in organic landcare by the Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA).
- Avery Yale Kamila, Citizen representative
- Priscilla Skerry: Citizen representative
- Karen Snyder: Citizen representative
- Troy Moon: A member of City staff designated by the City Manager who is certified in organic landcare practices by NOFA
For more information about the pesticide ordinance contact Troy Moon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit written public comment on an agenda item, please send an email to email@example.com. Submissions must be received by 12:00 PM the day before the Pesticide Management Advisory Committee meeting to guarantee their inclusion in the agenda packet.
All submissions must include the commenter's name and legal address. To help ensure your comment is published under the correct item, please include the name of the agenda item as well.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.